This section only applies for comprehensive cover, or third party fire and theft cover where damage is caused by fire or theft.
What is covered?
We will pay for:
- Loss of or damage to the owner’s car, and its accessories while in the owner’s car, up to the market value of the owner’s car;
- The reasonable cost of protecting and removing the owner’s car to the nearest competent repairer;
- If the owner’s car is repaired in Ireland, the reasonable cost of delivering the owner’s car back to your address.
This will involve:
- Repairing the owner’s car in an AXA garage or
- Replacing what is lost or damaged, if the cost of repairing it would be more than it costs to replace; or
- Paying the cost of the loss or damage to you or the legal owner if we are told that your car belongs to someone else.
A maximum limit of €200 will operate for all fees connected with towage and storage of the owner’s car provided you notify us of any accident or loss within 48 hours. If the Driver notifies us after 48 hours, we will determine the amount we deem reasonable to pay you for these fees.
If the owner’s car is stolen and is not found or, after it is found is not worth repairing, we will pay you the market value of the owner’s car, including accessories and spare parts at the time they are lost, stolen or damaged. If the owner’s car is stolen and you become aware that it has been found you must tell us immediately even if your claim has already been settled.
We will also cover accessories and spare parts of the owner’s car, which are in your private garage at the time of the loss or damage.
We may choose to repair the owner’s car with recycled parts, where appropriate.
We may use parts that have not been made by the car’s manufacturer, but they will be of a similar standard. If any lost or damaged parts are no longer available, we will pay an amount equal to the cost shown in the manufacturer’s latest price guide, together with reasonable fitting costs.
The owner’s car must be repaired by one of AXA’s garages after an accident, fire or theft.
Fire Brigade Charges
We will pay charges from a local authority (in line with the Fire Services Act 1981) for putting out a fire in the owner’s car if the fire gives rise to a valid claim under the policy, or for removing the driver or passengers from the owner’s car using cutting equipment. The most that we will pay for any one claim is €1,000
Salvage (if the owner’s car is written off)
We will settle your claim by replacing the owner’s car or by paying the market value (or purchase price of the owner’s car whichever is the lower) of the owner’s car before it was damaged. As part of settling your claim, the owner’s car will become our property and you must send us the vehicle licensing document and keys.
We will be entitled to take possession of and dispose of your damaged car, at any time during the course of a claim. If we know that the owner’s car is covered by a hire purchase or contract-hire agreement, we will pay any claim to the owner described in the agreement.
Please sign in to leave a comment.